When it comes to coffee, there are many myths and misconceptions that circulate among consumers. One of the most prevalent myths is that mold in coffee poses a serious health risk due to mycotoxins. But is there any truth behind this claim?
Firstly, it’s important to clarify what mycotoxins are. Mycotoxins are toxic substances produced by certain types of fungi, including molds. These toxins can be harmful to humans and animals when ingested in large quantities. However, the presence of mycotoxins in food is regulated by strict guidelines and limits set by regulatory bodies such as the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) or the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA).
Recent scientific research has shown that the presence of mycotoxins in coffee is relatively low and does not pose a significant health risk to consumers. In fact, the roasting process that coffee beans undergo kills off most, if not all, of the molds and mycotoxins present. Additionally, the strict quality control measures implemented by coffee producers help ensure that only high-quality beans free from contaminants, including molds, make it to the market.