Calendula, also known as pot marigold, is a vibrant flowering plant that has been used for centuries for its medicinal properties. The beautiful orange and yellow petals of calendula are not only pleasing to the eye, but they also contain powerful healing compounds that can benefit your health.
One popular way to enjoy the benefits of calendula is by consuming it as a tea. Calendula tea is made by steeping the dried petals of the plant in hot water. This herbal tea has a mild, slightly earthy flavor and is commonly used for its various health-promoting properties.
Here are seven potential benefits of calendula tea and extract:
1. Anti-inflammatory effects: Calendula contains anti-inflammatory compounds, such as flavonoids and triterpenoids, which can help reduce inflammation in the body. Regular consumption of calendula tea or extract may help relieve symptoms of inflammatory conditions, such as arthritis and irritable bowel syndrome.
2. Skin health: Calendula has long been used in traditional medicine to promote healthy skin. Its antiseptic and antibacterial properties can help heal wounds, reduce inflammation, and promote collagen production. Applying calendula extract or using calendula-infused skincare products may help improve the appearance of acne, wounds, and dry skin.
3. Digestive support: Calendula tea has been used for centuries to soothe digestive discomfort. Its mild bitter taste stimulates the production of digestive enzymes, which can aid in digestion and relieve symptoms of indigestion, bloating, and gas.
4. Immune system boost: The antioxidants present in calendula tea can help boost your immune system and protect against oxidative stress. Regular consumption of calendula tea or extract may help reduce the risk of chronic diseases and strengthen your body’s natural defenses against infections.
5. Menstrual cramp relief: Calendula tea has been traditionally used to relieve menstrual cramps and regulate menstrual cycles. Its antispasmodic and analgesic properties may help relax the muscles of the uterus and alleviate pain and discomfort associated with menstruation.
6. Mental well-being: Calendula tea is known for its calming properties and can help promote relaxation and reduce anxiety. Its soothing aroma and subtle floral taste can provide a sense of comfort and tranquility, making it an ideal beverage for stress relief.
7. Oral health: Calendula extract has been used in oral care products for its antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties. It can help improve gum health, reduce oral inflammation, and soothe mouth sores or ulcers. Gargling with calendula tea may also help reduce bad breath and maintain oral hygiene.
While calendula tea and extract offer numerous potential benefits, it’s important to remember that individual responses may vary. As with any herbal remedy, it’s advisable to consult with a healthcare professional before incorporating calendula into your daily routine, especially if you have any underlying health conditions or are taking medications.
Overall, enjoying a cup of calendula tea or using calendula extract in various forms can be a delightful and beneficial addition to your wellness routine. Its natural compounds and soothing properties make it a versatile herb that can support your overall health and well-being.